Noobies VÜ

random mutterings and musings by me, myself, and I.

5/23/2011

Project Entryway

Posted by vanashke001

Hello all!
I got busy again this weekend (I just love having projects to do) and I covered my icky entryway floor with some new wood flooring. Okay, VINYL wood flooring, but I was mainly going for a look and I had a VERY limited budget to work with.Here is the before... (click to embiggen pix of course)


and the after...


I think it looks so much better and I was fortunate; I got it all for only $15 and it was the perfect amount (almost, I had 1 whole strip-with tape gunk on it, not really usable and the scraps amounted to pretty much 1 strip).

So that was project 1 (Well, 2, actually, I am not posting them in order. lol)

The other project was the recurring nightmare I call The Awning.

As you can see from this image, I had some work to do...


Yeah, it's not supposed to be bowed like that. hee hee. So I had to put in rafters at each of the posts. It comes down to the fact that I should have just poured concrete for the posts. The piers I used move in the ground so when I would increase the tension on the cables (or the wind kicked up and moved the awning material a bit) the posts would move. I didn't realize it was so bad until I started noticing how tight I was making the cables yet they kept getting loose. I thought that the turnbuckles were loosening. I was wrong. sigh.

So I put in the rafters and the funny thing is, now the bow goes the opposite direction. lol
I made all the posts plum but since they didn't all line up completely ( I measured them all before I dug but I would guess I wasn't accurate or else the holes weren't so great. (I knew I should have used a string-line.) Well I can make shit work, now I just gotta learn how to plan it better. Lol or else learn to ask for help instead of trying to do it all by my onesie all the time. I need a bf. lol

Looks like I will have to change how the awning material is hung up though. They have little plates you can just hammer through the material but that would negate the possibility of having it retractable at all. But oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

1 comments:

Corey Wilkey said...

Baby I like it! :) Woot the house is looking fab!

Post a Comment